Marik, published paper, Jun 19, 2020.
“Quercetin and Vitamin C: An Experimental, Synergistic Therapy for the Prevention and Treatment of SARS-CoV-2 Related Disease (COVID-19)” in the journal Frontiers in Immunology, which notes:
“Ascorbic acid is a crucial vitamin necessary for the correct functioning of the immune system. It plays a role in stress response and has shown promising results when administered to the critically ill. Quercetin is a well-known flavonoid whose antiviral properties have been investigated in numerous studies.
There is evidence that vitamin C and Quercetin co-administration exerts a synergistic antiviral action due to overlapping antiviral and immunomodulatory properties and the capacity of ascorbate to recycle the quercetin, increasing its efficiency.
Safe, cheap interventions which have a sound biological rationale should be prioritized for experimental use in the current context of a global health pandemic.”
Incidentally, ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and the bioflavonoid quercetin (originally labeled vitamin) were both discovered by the same scientist – Nobel prize winner Albert Szent-Gyorgyi. Quercetin’s antiviral capacity has been attributed to five main mechanisms of action:
- Inhibiting the virus’ ability to infect cells by transporting zinc across cellular membranes
- Inhibiting replication of already infected cells
- Reducing infected cell’s resistance to treatment with antiviral medication
- Inhibiting platelet aggregation – and many COVID-19 patients suffer abnormal blood clotting
- Promoting SIRT2, thereby inhibiting the NLRP3 inflammasome assembly involved with the COVID-19 infection
Thank you Dr. Livingood for this information from his Immune YOU Masterclass.
BTW, I’ve seen other videos of the high dose Vitamin C that works well as a therapy for acute cases of COVID-19 infections – Intravenously administered by a doctor/naturopath.